Sunday, December 8, 2013

Thanksgiving in the cloud forest

Note: Unless otherwise specified, the photos are courtesy Charles Denson. You can see his whole Mindo collection, which is amazing. 

So, it's happened again. I'm in love. Like the totally enamored, can't-stop-thinking-about-you kind of love. And, I'm so good at the honeymoon period. As this is a long distance relationship, that's bound to endure for some time. The apple of my eye? Object of my affection? Mindo. Mindo is magic. No, I see none of Mindo's flaws because I am too busy swooning over Mindo's chocolate factory, El Quetzal, the butterfly garden, a dozen quaint hostels--such as Caskaffesu where we stayed and the Dragonfly Inn where we were served a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner thanks to one of the school counselors and his lovely wife--beautiful hiking trails, and divine coffee (and the attractive British barrista at The Beehive doesn't hurt). I'm not going to lie, it was difficult to come back from this retreat.

Left to right: Bethany, KC, Amanda, Me and Michelle outside the hostel.
We had a half day of school on Friday, so a number of us boarded buses and hopped in cars to travel two hours north of Quito to magnificent Mindo, which, in addition to the above, is also one of the top 20 places in the world for bird-watching.

Hummingbirds are quite popular, but thousands of species call Mindo their home.
Located in the cloud forest, Mindo's climate is often wet, but also warmer than Quito. We lucked out with a dry, sunny weekend.

Swings at the juice bar.
After a pretty easy bus ride (the tour buses do boast comfy seats), we checked in to our hostel and began to wander around the town a bit. I know I am gushing, but seriously, love at first sight. The whole feel of Mindo is just so warm and charming. One can wander its whole perimeter in about 15 minutes. As you meander, you'll find a cute town square, dozens of delicious little restaurants, and an abundance of cute tiendas. We took in these sites as we made our way to El Quetzal for a chocolate tour. I love this chocolate factory/restaurant/hostel for its organic farm growing methods and the absolutely delicious chocolate it produces. Spent a pretty penny on Christmas gifts (and perhaps about a dozen chocolate bars for myself).

Later, as people went different directions for various restaurants para comer la cena, I went for Italian at El Nomada. I sampled a friend's gnocchi, which was scrumptious, and took down my own plate of tortellini. After dinner all the teachers gathered at The Dragonfly Inn, where many of us were staying, to hang out and savor the fresh night air and a cocktail. I retired at a decent hour to save myself for the big dinner and dance on Saturday.

Me levanté a las ocho mas or menos en sábado. After throwing on some running duds, I made my way to The Beehive for a light breakfast. So, I love Mindo, but I might have been drawn thus to take another look at that cute Englishman. Anyway, after breakfast I met up with Rebecca, Alli, Charles, Kim, and Bethany so we could hit the trails for a pretty intense uphill jaunt. Many of you did your Turkey Trot to prepare for a big Thanksgiving dinner. Well, we did the Jungle Jog to earn our mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie. It was quite breathtaking. Mindo isn't officially the jungle, but it certainly feels like it when you hit the trails that surround the town. I'd like to say I was tranquilly breathing in the cloud forest air here, but really I was sucking wind. I can't complain, though. As I was bounding up the trail (in the company of Alli, who competes in Ironman competitions, and Charles, her fiance, both of whom have been personal trainers), I was feeling tough. I had one of those moments where the perfection of the moment just hits me. I soo could not be doing this back home I thought to myself. As we've previously concluded, the daily grind of life is not charming, or picturesque, or romantic, so when you do find yourself in such a moment, drink it in. Taste it. Smell it. Breathe it. Savor it. Just be with it.

If you check out the view, you'll see why it is called the cloud forest. 
We followed our run with lunch back at El Quetzal. I bought more stuff. I am currently obsessed with candied ginger. Lunch was then followed by a couple of hours of reading, sitting on the porch of my hostel...and at The Beehive. After this lounging, it was time to get fixed up for the Thanksgiving dinner, which has become something of a legendary tradition. Amanda and I made our way over to the Dragonfly a bit before 7 and walked into the dining area to find white tableclothes and wine glasses already filled with vino tinto. As more of the Americano teachers gathered, we chatted and milled about a bit before Todd requested we find our seats. Our meal began with ceviche, non-traditional, but a perfect warm-up for our taste buds. The main menu, prepared by Todd´s wife, Lorena, included turkey, stuffing, green beans with real fried onions, and mashed potatoes. Honestly I was grateful the food was plated for me because I could easily have gone back for seconds. Instead, I was still up for dessert: maracuyá (passion fruit) mouse and a light pumpkin pie bar. Both were delicious, and I was especially grateful for the pumpkin pie as this is one of my favorites!

After a good Thanksgiving dinner, I am content to doze in front of the TV, with the football game playing as ambient noise, but this year, after dinner, the dancing commenced. Rumor has it that there has been dancing on the tables at this belated Thanksgiving celebration. While we kept our shoes on the floor this year, we spent many hours gettin' jiggy wid it and shaking our booties until the early morning hours. My new friend, Mr. Mark Englishman, even joined us. A girl does appreciate a fun dancing partner. Again, I had one of those life is so grand right now moments. A couple of months ago I would never have known this is what the holiday would look like this year. Sometimes I really can appreciate the unpredictability of life...the unknowns.

So, the rooster crowing woke us all at an early hour on Sunday, before dawn broke, but I managed to drift in and out of sleep until 8:30. Sunday began with breakfast at the Dragonfly, followed by a great mochaccino at The Beehive. After packing (and feeling a bit of the Sunday blues about leaving), Amanda, Charles, Alli and I checked out the orchid and butterfly gardens. Turns out Mindo has even more Zen than I originally thought.

Photo courtesy Ms. Amanda Manning. Feeling like the butterfly whisperer here.
This...is a bit butterfly.
After lunch at Caskafessu, we boarded the 3-o-clock bus back to Quito, arriving back to the city in time to grab groceries and begin preparing for a short week ahead. (Fiestas de Quito this week means 3.5 days of school. Baños, the hot springs, beacons. I'll be chillin' here:
Posada del Arte.) It goes without saying that I will be returning to Mindo in the not too distant future. Mom and Dad come in January and I have quite the list of places to take them; Mindo will certainly be one.

Each week continues to get a bit easier here in South America. I am really looking forward to Christmas, though, when I will get to cuddle with my adorable nieces, eat plenty of homemade ravioli, thanks to Dad, Grandpa Red and Uncle Joe, and just enjoy the love and company of my family and friends back home. I´ve got Christmas music streaming in my classroom right now; while I haven´t missed the cold and snow, I´ll appreciate it for the holidays.

Mucho amor a todos,

Jame

BTW! A shout out to my littlest sister and her NEW fiancé Tom! The Baci clan is happy to be welcoming another great man into the fam! 







1 comment:

  1. What an amazing weekend - a Thanksgiving you'll never forget! Mindo sounds enchanting. So excited to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete