Saturday, June 14, 2014

For My Papa on his 31st Father's Day

Papa,

I have just hunkered down at El Quetzal. While I am enjoying the solitude of this solo trip, the last time I was here was with you and Mom and your presences would be a welcome addition again now. I just may grab you 2...or 24 blocks of cacao for those dynamite Mindo brownies. Our politics may differ, but we will always share a deep passion for good chocolate. And really, we share more than that...

An affinity for the deep blue sea and all of the fishes within. Perhaps as I've gotten quite used to pushing my boundaries, to extending myself beyond my comfort zone, I will join you for a shark dive...or maybe I'll still stick to listening to your stories. (I suppose it depends if Mom gets a vote.) Regardless, diving in The Galapagos will be breathtaking, I am certain.

An awe and appreciation for the mountains. I was just recounting to a friend the story of the shale rock climb in Montana all those summers ago now. A rough and scary experience, but it's prepped me for some great climbing in Ecuador. A bit more recently I reflect on our hike in Rocky Mountain National Park. I had been living in Colorado for months, and yet I trailed behind you as your lungs were made for the mountains. What are the chances you come and scale a volcano with me before my time is through here?

An interest in expanding our minds. I think the last book I picked up of yours was a Malcolm Gladwell. That was after having had to abandon The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable Fragility. With the various titles and genres that have been stacked on the shelves, the message was clear: Work your brain. Be a thinker.

(I also hope I share the "aging well" gene with you. The George Clooney look is working for you, Dad. So if you rock Clooney, I'm hoping to pull off Michelle Pfeiffer.)

My gratitude that you are my father increases with each passing year. To have been raised by a man who has instilled in me the value of saving and giving, to have shown me that real men, strong men, show emotion, to have demonstrated the benefit of a strong work ethic, all of this is invaluable. You are precious to me, Daddy.

I may have been accused of being too picky when it comes to men, but with you as my model, Dad, the bar is set high.

My father and his adoring daughters.
I am really looking forward to the summer, when we can buff it up at CrossFit. For real, whose dad can still kick that kind of butt? My dad! And I'm anticipating some good bonfires out back. Smoke an Ecuadorian cigar with me?

It is a strong and independent woman you have supported me in becoming, but within still resides your little girl.

I love you, Dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment