Sunday, August 3, 2014

La Boda del Verano

It's official (actually Facebook official, so you know it's the real deal): another Baci woman is off of the market. Many men's hearts sank as one grew even larger at 3 pm on Saturday, August 2nd, 2014, as my stunning sister Cassie said "I do" to one handsome Tom Ryan. 

I've spent the past few weeks relishing the nights that Cass and I have been hanging out at my parents', where she has been living and I have been staying. (Trying not to treat it too much like a B and B, I've been doing a load of laundry from time to time.) Our sister time doesn't get abolished now that she is a wife, but being both sensitive AND sentimental, spending time with Cass in her last days as a Bacigalupo felt extra special. (Though her ability to take down a plate of pasta, laugh at her own jokes and bring on the sass doesn't change with the new name, so once a Baci, always a Baci.)


In the days leading up to the wedding, I spent a number of nights mostly observing Cass work on final touches. With Mom's help, Cass created all kinds of decor from scratch that is most definitely Pinterest worthy. Using burlap, twine, birch bark and hydrangeas, Cass's style is rustic elegance. Another special touch: sweet, little poems to introduce each member of the wedding party. I've got to include the ones she wrote for Linds and me:


For Linds--

My shopping partner in crime,
I could hang with my sister all of the time.
A successful realtor she is
I might even join her in the biz.
Her generous heart is what I love most
Of this I will most proudly boast.
Beautiful babies she and Chad made,
Lovely life none of which she would trade.

For me--

Sisters by blood, friends by choice,
She always carries herself with much poise.
Teacher, world traveler, foodie and chef
I often call her when I could use a deep breath.
One quote comes to mind when I think of my dearest:
“Though she be but little, she is fiercest.”

As maid and matron-of-honor, Linds and I decided on a joint speech. We followed Dad, whose wit and humor nearly earned him a standing ovation. My fave part of Linds' and my speech was our alphabet for the newlyweds, inspired by Dr. Seuss's ABC book and what Linds and I imagine Cass and Tom's life to look like based on their favorite pastimes and interests. It is as follows:



a - acceptance, Anthropologie, autumns
b - beaches, bars, burgers and a baby or three.
c - Cassie's changing clothes again
d - dancing in DC
e - elegant evening in Ecuador
f - fury, fights, forgiven
g -goofy and glam, grabbing grub from grandma's
h - happy hour in Hudson, highlights and a haircut
i - imitating imps in Iceland?
j - juicing in their jammies in January
k - kinship, kindness and keepsakes
l - laughing without limits
m - movie in the Minneapolis moonlight with mimosas
n - New Nightlife in New York
o - ordering orange overalls
p - pouring porters on patios
q - her quirks, his queen
r - the Ryan's rollerblading to the Reuter’s
s - Softball and Summertime Saturday sushi dates
t - Tommy twerking in Tel Aviv? too funny
u - ultimate underwater  
v - valuable vacations, verve and vitality
w - watches, winters, and white wine
x - seXy teXting...you mean seXting?
y - years of...yodeling?
z - a life with plenty of zeal, plenty of zest because Tommy is the one who Cass loves best

The following photos, courtesy of my dear friends Kelley and Nate Reiter, give you a sense of the beauty of Cass and Tom's wedding day.


                                                                                   Getting ready at Mom and Dad's.

Here she comes, Tommy, our sister and daughter, your beautiful bride.

Aunt Christy and Uncle Jim's Weston is such a stud. He was more than happy 
to walk these belles down the aisle.


One hot wedding party...who rocked the dance floor all. night. long. (naturally)

          Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Tom Ryan

“Love consists of this: two solitudes that meet, protect and greet each other. ” 

No comments:

Post a Comment