Sunday, October 30, 2016

Life with Chinese Characteristics, Chapter 4: A Week Without Walls

It is October 29th today, and I have now been living in Shenzhen for 13 weeks. While the past couple of months have offered moments of triumph and awe, many of the days in these past weeks I have been feeling the slump ... the expat slump that those of us living and teaching abroad experience each time we plant ourselves on new soil; the Slump is not germane to any one particular place, but rather connected to the decision to be a bit nomadic. So, the first few months feel something like this:
Less important are the details of the big dip you see above, as what I want to celebrate here is that we are climbing back up the ladder to that place where my emotions express themselves with fewer tears and with more sincere smiles. 

This past week I had the privilege of taking a trip with three of my colleagues and our 10th grade class. This is an annual event coined Week Without Walls, and it is all about learning life lessons outside of the classroom. My initiation into this extraordinary experience was the perfect anodyne for the newbie blues; super sophomores and interesting and entertaining colleagues paired with fantastic food and a dose of real China has my spirits lifted. I must show you a bit of what the week looked like ...

On Monday we flew into Lijiang, a town in Yúnnán province described as "a fairyland blessed with fresh air, clear streams, breathtaking snowy mountains, and an undisturbed landscape." No false advertising here; Lijiang lives up to it all. 

Old Town Lijiang
photo credit: Sophomore Sean, the trip's resident photographer
More of his beautiful photographs are featured throughout this post.
When we arrived to Lijiang's airport, we were met by five enthusiastic Dragonfly staff members. Dragonfly is an organization with a mission to engage students in outdoor education and experiential learning throughout China and Asia. As a teacher, they made my life crazy enjoyable and easy as they had organized the whole week's activities. (They also won my heart as they made the teachers coffee each morning ground from local beans. Even after living in Ecuador for three years, this has been the best coffee to touch my tastebuds.)

The first activity the students were engaged in was a Great Race throughout Old Town. I loved following around my small group to different locations in the city, watching them read maps much better than I do, as we walked on the old stone streets, passing countless quaint storefronts.




The architecture and history of Lijiang was perhaps my first real glimpse into the richness and true beauty of China. And let's note the crystalline blue sky, something I had previously deduced did not exist in this country. How happy I am that I was proven wrong. 


The team building skills the students were honing during this scavenger hunt allowed us to check out the sweet spots in Old Town; this same ability to work as a team would help the students constructively participate in the community service planned for the coming days. 

After completing The Great Race, we piled back into the bus and drove about two hours to Shaxi, another rural town in Yúnnán province. Reflecting back on both Lijiang and Shaxi, I have to christen these picturesque places Boutique Rural. They are indeed a glimpse into #realChina, but other towns and villages must be more rustic and poor, as there are such layers in any country. 

That first night in Shaxi the Dragonfly staff implored the students to develop lesson plans to teach local primary school students about holidays that the SIS students celebrate. The following morning looked a bit like this:

I love these kids, and their smiles. The school children were totally delighted to be learning from our students.
It was a great deal of fun to see the #sissophomores become such natural teachers.
And to see the concentration and happiness on the faces of these beautiful children.
Throughout the day, I was impressed with the way that our students were able to connect with and teach the local children, in spite of a language barrier. Body language and facial expressions go a long way. 

Their may indeed be a budding teacher or two amongst these sophomores. Their talent does extend into the arts as well. The following day we spent from morning into the afternoon painting murals at a nearby kindergarten. Check out how blank canvasses became masterpieces ...

First, a bit of priming ...
Voilà! Welcome to the jungle, kinders!
In a primary school, there is sure to be some monkey business.
SpongeBob had to make his appearance. Had to.
A fabulous representation of the most famous sea creatures.
Maybe one of the students who attends this school will be on that spaceship someday ...
but for now, playing Pirates may seem more fun. Where should we bury the treasure??
As a quick side note, while I was watching the students' imaginations take shape on these walls, a pig was slaughtered right outside the school. This is #Chinaliving. I will spare you all of the details, but I did watch the whole gutting process. That was my schooling for the day.

The community service at these primary schools helped us to ponder more deeply the mark we leave on communities, and the way it feels so good to be part of something bigger than ourselves. We were also privileged enough to hang out in nature and learn more about Chinese culture ...

There was this lovely hike.
A bike ride to see more of the countryside.
At the Old Theatre Inn we watched five traditional dances, and then learned a few ourselves.
(In the midst of these adventures and activities was a lot ... a lot of Chinese food. I never set my chopsticks down long enough to take more #shamelessfoodphotos, so I cannot make your mouths water right now, but I will buy a new pair of pants to indulge in authentic Chinese cuisine.)
And stargazing. This was the most awe-inspiring for many of our students as a good number of them have grown up in big cities like Shenzhen where all kinds of pollution can block the wonders of our galaxy. Here it is in all its glory.
Teachers spend a good deal of time collecting data, using assessments and rubrics to mark student growth. This all has purpose, but I needed none of this during Week Without Walls to understand how my students' minds were expanding. I listened to them rework their holiday lessons when something did not go quite right with one group. I listened to them reflect each night. And I listened to them ask me, "Ms. Baci, how many Wow Moments are you having each day?" The truth is, I lost track. 

I go to bed tonight with a content spirit. I am living in a beautiful country, working with awesome students, befriending brilliant colleagues. 

Cheers to you, SIS Sophomores.

#weekwithoutwalls2016 #sissupersophomores #sisrocks
















No comments:

Post a Comment