Friday, June 21, 2013

Mission Accomplished...right?...007?

You know what's coming: Ecudorian Consulate trip #4. As I was taking my morning walk with Gus around Lake Harriet, I was imagining how the foray might go today. Breathing in the muggy (but delicious as anything warm is so welcome this year) morning air, I began picturing The Hombre's possible responses to Peter's and my request. It's going to be the (painted on) Lululemon Big Girl Pants today I think nodding my head. That way, if The Hombre still wants to barter about dates, I know I can break out my seductive WiggleWalk. Yeah, I say to myself, we make like we're leaving if he still says to come back later, WiggleWalk in full effect, and then as we're about to walk out the door, I turn back around and with my hypnotizing gaze ask "Are you sure about this Juan Carlos? With a dazed expression, Juan Carlos replies, "Guapa, I think I am mistaken. Whatever you want, I get for you. You would like the visa now? No problemo." I'm smiling and giggling to myself as Gus pulls me to every tree to claim his territory again...and again...and again. I don't even care this morning that he nearly pulls my shoulder out of the socket. My plan is so golden.

Well, as it goes, my fantasies and reality nearly never align. Darn.

So, Peter pulls up around 9 am (deja vu, anyone?) and I hop in. Got your big girl pants on. I nod. We chit chat our way to the consulate, park, and walk into the US Bank building to enter the consulate office. Wow I say, taking in the renovations. The office looks...like an actual office now. Plush new carpet, a front desk, nice dividers. After consulting the woman at the desk, we take a seat to wait for The Hombre. Little butterflies flutter in my tummy. If there is any chance of confrontation or disagreement on the horizon, I get a little queasy. Gotta work on that.

Juan Carlos walks into the office and spots us right away. A welcoming smile crosses his face. This is promising I think. Juan Carlos walks us over to his new desk and waves us into seats across from him. Despite the warm smile, JC continues to try to convince us that we still don't need to process the visas until August 1st. I do a little wiggle in my seat (warming up) and look over at Peter. The school does want us to go ahead and process the visas he pipes up broken record style. The three of us go in circles a bit until we conclude that JC should talk directly to the woman at Colegio that has been working with us to get the details squared away for our departure and arrival. I hand over her number in Quito and JC picks up his phone. A few moments later he's conversing with Katty in Spanish. I'm doing my darndest to translate what he's saying, picking up maybe half of the conversation. Do I consider it a victory that I easily recognize words like Julio (July)? MySpanishisn'tgoodenoughrightnow anxiety begins to creep up. Don't go there right now, Jame. There's no room for anxiety now.

Peter and I look at JC expectantly as he hangs up the phone. Yes, she says we wait til August 1st he explains. You come back on August 15th and we'll have your visas. Peter and I slowly shake our heads. We fork over our passports, and I give him all of my paperwork as he assures us he will begin to process right away in August. Should I call August 1st to make sure this Gringa says as she shakes her head yes. JC smiles knowingly ah, you North Americans he seems to be saying. Sure, you can call August 1st, just to make sure I remember. Peter and I stand and shake hands with Juan Carlos. As we begin to walk away, I break out a little WiggleWalk. Remember that, Juan Carlos, remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment