Monday, June 3, 2013

The Enneagram: A Slight Obsession

Some number of years ago, my dad, sister, her boyfriend at the time, my Aunt Christy, and our beloved dog Kole were on a camping trip in Montana. We were ill-prepared for the inclement weather and soon after setting up our tents in the mountains, we took everything back down the trail as snow was steadily falling. Camped out in a hotel, Christy first introduced us to the Enneagram. The Enneagram is something like the Myers-Briggs, though it features nine different personality types. After pouring over the chapters, I deemed myself a "Six: The Loyal Skeptic," apparently joined by the likes of Mark Twain, Jennifer Aniston, and Malcolm X in this wing of the Enneagram. Sixes are especially known for their duality, described as "engaging and responsible, anxious and suspicious." If you haven't explored this before, I encourage you to check it out--it's pretty fascinating. So years later, I still get an email each morning, my "Enneagram of the day." Today's was especially pertinent as it stated, "Seek out diversity and variety. By interacting with people from different backgrounds, you will learn more about yourself and the world. Far from being threatening or dangerous, this will greatly expand your base of support and increase your comfort in the world." Touche, Enneagram, touche.

No comments:

Post a Comment