Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Adventure #2

Our hearts all sank as the car exhales our heavy groans. I feel somehow responsible as I'd put out into the universe a desire for my sisters to experience Ecuador in a truer, more bona fide manner. And here we have it.

Initially we find a bit of humor in the devils and grim reapers at the back of the pack that were supposedly protecting the rest of the pilgrims. After crawling behind the good Christians--who were sprawled across the entire two-lane road--for nearly an hour, our patience wanes. As I am looking at my watch, acknowledging that we aren't going to make it back in time to make our dinner reservation, four motorcycles surround the car. Irritation quickly gives way to a feeling of excitement as this guy peers down into my open window:

Am I dreaming here?!
I come up short for words but bat my eyelashes and gave him my best "damsel in distress" look. As my Spanish vocabulary is utterly inaccessible here, Ana swiftly begins conversing with my McDreamy. As luck would have it, Buenaventura and his compadres are also heading towards Quito. They offer up their shuttle services, assuring us that they will get us back to the city at the speed of light, but safely too, of course.

Before I know it, my arms are gleefully wrapped around my newfound friend. The wind is whipping through my hair and we swerve through the throng of pilgrims. and this moment is oh so much sexier than when I was hurtling down the beach on that crazy horse mere weeks ago. The grin on my face grows as I throw my head back and laugh.

Ahh, alas, this is merely a daydream I imagined as I was squirming in my seat, antsy to get home. Here's the truth of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment