Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Bacichx in Quito, the Sequel: Choose Your Own Adventure

They came back, they saw more than Quito, and they conquered some fears of perishing on the switchback roads of Ecuador. Ha, who am I kidding...we all feel like we might have used up one or two of our nine lives this past weekend. Conquering fears not so much; uttering words of gratitude for surviving crazy car rides is closer to the truth.

A mere three weeks ago I was sitting in my classroom when an email appeared on my screen. Linds had sent me the confirmation of her ticket to come and visit again. Cass quickly followed suit. I was immediately giddy, and I immediately began plotting how I was going to get the hermanas outside of the city this time to experience something more authentic of Ecuador. Mindo came to mind, but chocolate is more my passion than theirs. As far as favorite past-times go, these ladies will take you on a killer shopping spree (in fact, Linds did for my 30th birthday), so without further ado I booked a room at La Luna in Otavalo for the three of us and Ana. They were going to be hard-pressed to turn down a stay near the biggest artisanal market in the country, and a quick jaunt to some inexpensive leather goods in Cotacachi.

My sister sense was right on. The hermanas arrived late Thursday night and by Friday afternoon we were piled in Fanny's car with Ana, trying to beat traffic out of the city. Unfortunately we didn't. If all goes as planned--and having now spent 15 months in South America you'd think I would have banished that word from my vocabulary altogether--the drive is two hours. After four hours of fighting traffic, and then asking five people how to find La Luna, we had arrived to our rustic and quaint hostel, more than ready for vino and pizza.

We rose rather early Saturday morning to get our shop on.

Bacichx in Ecuador: keeping the economy alive since 2014
After a number of hours at the market, and then dropping plenty of dolla dolla bills in Cotacachi, we met Fanny back at La Luna to begin the drive back to Quito. I had made reservations at Rumiloma for some fine dining and a great view of the city. Departing Otavala at 3 pm, I felt certain the drive home would be less eventful and we would arrive back at 5:30 to prep and primp.

The real fun starts here, folks. It was smooth sailing for maybe 45 minutes. Then we ran into pilgrims returning to Quito after having walked the 60 km from the big city to Quinche to pay homage to la virgen there. What do you think happened next?

                          Adventure #1: Saved by Ecuadorian Bomberos                        

No comments:

Post a Comment