Sunday, August 25, 2013

Look who I found!

Analuisa!! Ana has been back in Quito (after spending the school years from 3rd grade on with Aunt Abby and Uncle Tony) for about 7 years and we haven't seen her...until she met me at Super Maxi yesterday afternoon. I really appreciate all of the new hires, but seeing a familiar face was pretty awesome. And the fact that she knows her way around, has her own car, and can help me navigate various situations in Spanish: priceless. After driving me and all of my groceries, etc. back to my apartment, Ana helped me unpack my suitcases and showed me how to use tree tomato (a new vegetable) to make a juice. So glad that I brought along my Magic Bullet! (And missing my nice cookware that's packed away in storage.) After getting my place together a bit, Ana came back to the hotel with me and met the other teachers, and gave us some sound advice about using taxis. One important tip (especially for us Gringos): barter the price of the ride before you get into the taxi. If the taxi driver says it will be $5, say you'll pay $2.50. Negotiating has not historically been my forte, but I'm determined to hone some skills.

Today is the last afternoon at the hotel. It's been a bit like being on vacation up to this point. I'm looking forward to making my apartment feel like home, but also anticipating some loneliness, especially as I will not have internet right away. I'm so used to having Gus as my companion; living without my shadow will be a venture in true independence. I met up with my landlord, Bertha (Bertita) again yesterday afternoon. Wow, I struck gold with choosing this place because of her alone. She loves Americans, is a former teacher from Colegio Americano, bought me a book about Quito, and some fresh Ecuadorian fruits. She reminds me of Trini, my madre in Spain. I do have a knack for connecting with woman that become something of a mother/grandmother figure whether at home, in another U.S. state, or abroad. Bertita also lives just around the corner from me, and I am certain she will be very attentive. I think I might even have dinner plans tomorrow with her and a teacher from Colegio that lives in her building. I say I think because some parts of conversations are still lost in translation for me. I know she definitely said lunes (Monday), la cena (dinner), con Chris (with Chris, the other teacher). Seems like an invitation, but we'll see where I end up dining tomorrow evening.

I'm missing home, but I keep centered on the notion that each day has something really valuable to offer me, whether it is full of frustrations, or loneliness, or confusion about how to be in a new culture...or if it full of lovely walks around Parque Carolina, checking out a new yoga studio, and reading on my comfy new bed.

Speaking of that new yoga studio, I need to take a look at yogaenquito.com to check out the schedule.

Mucho amor a todos,

Jame



1 comment:

  1. Your new home sounds wonderful! Let's Skype soon!! I'll facebook message you to set it up, OK?

    ReplyDelete