Monday, October 28, 2013

La Vida Ecuatoriana


In an effort to keep the blog lighter from time to time, here is a look at some scenes from my daily life...and 10 things I am ADORING about Quito:

Before I left, my second cousin Michael suggested that I take pictures of what I see out my windows so that I could look back someday and remember the vistas of my life here. I thought it was sound advice.
Angle #1 from my bedroom window.
Angle #2 from  my bedroom window. A room with a view, just not a very appealing one. I've come to see past the "blemishes" of the city, though.
If you look down the street in the previous photo, you can make out Parque Carolina. Here is one of the landmarks of the park, which is totally bustling on weekends.
I am not David Letterman, so these next "loves" are in no particular order:
1. Flowers, such as roses, for $2 a bouquet
I always have at least one bouquet in the house at all times. 
2. Farmers' markets and super fresh produce (Broccoli tastes different here, I swear. I often eat it cooked and cold with no butter or salt because it is naturally DELICIOUS. I won't even start talking about the avocados and mangos...)
Some of the homemade options at the organic market. (Kelley Conley Reiter, I need a photo lesson at Christmas. I am not doing this food justice.)
3. I can afford a maid. It's amazing. I love her.
I come home on a Monday to a spic and span room and laundry that is folded much more neatly than I take the time for. 
4. I can drink coffee without it increasing my neurotic behaviors. They say it's the altitude.
5. Hot chocolate
6. Artesian chocolate bars such as Kallari (My dad will be getting a stockingful for Christmas.)
7. Easy travel to places such as the OCEAN
8. A classroom with a whole wall of windows
9. $6 pedicures--I am certain my sisters will pay $800 for a plane ticket to get a $6 pedicure. Absolutely certain.
10. It's light outside when I go to work. All school year.
I'm on a role. Let's make this a Baker's Dozen.
11. No. Winters.
12. My feet have no issues with raynaud's here--this means that they aren't turning purple and donning attractive sores
13. Markets where they don't sell food, but they sell great anillos and other beautiful treasures
My new little elephant ring. It was going to be one of Cass's Christmas gifts, but he really likes hanging out on my hand. Sorry sister. 
And just for good measure...
(See, Gram, despite the weekly tears, there is a lot I am appreciating about my new life.)
14. Yoga and spinning in Spanish--it's like happy hour; I get two for one: exercise and a Spanish lesson

My last blog was a little sad. That's life and that's the growing pains of change, I suppose, but today was a better day in the classroom. I brought cookies for all of my kiddos. They were grateful and suggested perhaps I bring them every Monday. I think maybe we should all switch off bringing treats. I mean, I'm not teaching in Dubai, I'm teaching in South America; the cost of living is lower than the States, and so is my salary. Anyway, today the students were presenting songs they had put on their soundtrack for The Crucible. These kids have great taste in music, and it was clear they had spent time coming up with songs to connect to characters, themes, tone, mood, and scenes from the play. To my students' delight, it was a pretty "chill" day, and Jamie (as they call their teachers by their first names) was quite tranquila. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I will sleep soundly after today's progress.

Buenas noche a todos, mi queridos amigos and familia.

Jame

1 comment:

  1. Giggling over a few of these. CANNOT WAIT to buy that plane ticket and come down to experience all of this with you. Excited to be a 3D part of your world again. :)

    ReplyDelete