Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Goldilocks Effect

Well, the home makeover continues. I am taking a break from the painting the entryway here. I am on a mission, but losing some steam; I'm putting the paint away for a couple of weeks after I finish up today. To be honest, I am a little weary of the color for the kitchen/living area. I thought I had bought a light green, but it turns out to be more of a creamy yellow, which warms up the house and goes well with the bedroom color, but does not accent the gray and white granite in the kitchen the way I had imagined. Sigh and deep breath. It is still much better than florescent white walls.

This weekend has been altogether quite lovely. Something has happened in the past week and a half that leads me to feel much more settled and at home in Quito now. I think it's called the passing of time. Robert Frost says that "nothing gold can stay," but on that same token, the tough stuff does get easier. I am feeling much more like my spunky, fun-loving self than a few weeks ago. My students have been looking at me with some amused expressions on their faces because I have a bit more pep in the classroom. Buckle up, kiddos.

So, Friday night I painted the 2nd bedroom. Check it out.
Sooner than later I need to get a bed for the room. I have a number of guests that begin arriving in December, starting with Mrs. Hannah Julien and her husband Eric Antonson. I can't wait to have some others in my home spreading their good energy around the place. Someone to cook with and for also just tickles my fancy.

Anyway, I woke up at 6 am on Saturday morning to go with our school librarian Jeanette and her husband Bacil to a sleepy little town called Atahualpa, which is about 2 hours outside of Quito. The bus ride was actually quite enjoyable. I have come to realize that Americans really are much louder than many other peoples. Ecuadorians can get rowdy with the best of 'em, I think, but altogether, people talk more softly. While the bus was full, it was not loud. The Spanish music provided a soft ambient background as well.

When we arrived in Atahualpa, we got off the bus and ended up quickly finding a large hill/small montaña to climb. On the way up, we saw plenty of hens, dogs, and it seems everyone in town was helping build a house. A couple of children scampered up behind us, laughing sweetly when they would catch up to us. It seemed they were playing a sort of game with us. After an hour of steep trekking, we arrived at the top to have quite the vista of the entire little town. We didn't have much time at the top because the bus back to Quito left Atahualpa at 1 pm (well, we thought 1 at the time, but as it turned out, it was 1:25, which meant really 1:35).

As we were making our way through town back to the bus stop, I stopped and got some fresh bread for .35 and then bought a banana for .05 from a fruit and vegetable truck that was going around. I cannot stop gaping at the prices for delicious, fresh food here.

Speaking of food, the girl who thinks about lunch as soon as she finishes breakfast, and dinner as soon as she finishes lunch had a fantastic dinner last night in the central historico. It was my friend Celeste's 26th birthday. A group of us from school met up at a restaurant called Vista Hermosa and beautiful view it did have! It was a little too chilly to dine on the rooftop, but we did take in the breathtaking site before sitting down inside. I ordered shrimp in a garlic sauce and was then introduced to the best drink of my life: a Pisco Sour. O.M.G. I just know the glass is rimmed with sugar and it has a fluffy, beaten egg white mixed into some smooth liquor.

Continuing with my food trend, I finally located the organic market that is open every other Sunday in Parque Carolina, right across from my apartment. Score. I bought some fresh produce for the week, and a homemade chocolate, pumpkin spread that reminds me of fall back home. I could spoon the whole jar into my mouth right now. Thoughts of a beach getaway next weekend are the only thing holding me back. Swimsuit time.

I am currently debating hard core about the color of my living room. Here's what I've got so far:


I'll live with it for a week and see where I am at. Ms. Independent would love if her female family members were here now to give their opinions....and help repaint if need be. 

To close today, I've been thinking about this new place I am in, feeling more at ease and comfortable with my new life. While life in Minnesota was beautiful for dozens of reasons, it felt something like when Goldilocks lays on the bed that is too soft. The first weeks of being in Quito I could compare to Goldilocks finding the bed that is too hard. Now, happily, Goldilocks is snuggled into the bed that is just right. She's relishing in that feeling while it lasts. 

I hope that at least part of your day felt like that, just right. 

Mucho amor,

Jame



No comments:

Post a Comment