Sunday, September 29, 2013

Making a house a home: Part 1


So, you may be aware that mi madre has this awesome knack for interior decorating. My parents are currently building a house by Linds and her family, and I am enjoying hearing about all of the details and decisions they are making as the construction has been underway for a couple of months now. My mom has played a large role in the decor in my Minneapolis condo; I have appreciated her input a lot. When I made the decision to teach abroad, though, I decided that part of my evolution as an adult needed to include the ability to create a home on my own. I was tempted to do the roommate thing here as some of the perks, like crazy cheap rent and company in times of real loneliness, were tempting in the face of such a big change, but ultimately I stuck to my guns on the challenge of fixing up a place on my own. Some of my friends here have these amazing Ecuadorian flats that just feel, well, like Ecuador. My apartment, as it is new construction, isn't necessarily very South American feeling, but the stark white walls presented an opportunity for me to reinvent a space. This past Monday I, along with one of my new local friends, Francisco, went on an excursion to a paint store, Sherwin Williams, actually. I intended to take care of business on my own, but Francisco insisted on meeting up and going along. I was quite fortunate to have him with because, while my Spanish is improving, discussing types of brushes, paint primers, and level of gloss isn't currently in my vocabulary. 

Having purchased the paint, I was anxious to get started on Operation House 2 Home. After reading until 2:30 am Saturday morning, I still woke up at 7:30 am--it is nearly impossible for me to sleep in here--quite excited to get started on my project. After hitting up the gym to pump some iron and my weekly trip to Iñaquito, the market that is walking distance from my house, I donned the closet thing to painting clothes I have here: Lululemon cropped pants and a t-shirt.

I finished priming and one coat of paint before it was time to get ready for a friend's 30th birthday party. A lot of good food and some salsa dancing somehow made for a terrible night of getting stomach sick. My mom used to tell stories about how I was a projectile vomiter as a little baby. Mom, it wasn't just about being a baby. Some things never change. TMI. I know. Sorry 'bout it. Today I was supposed to go on an excursion to el mitad del mundo, otherwise known as the equator. I got up, showered, and walked to meet the other teachers who had signed up for the adventure. While waiting for everyone to arrive, I decided I couldn't chance the bus ride and an afternoon of walking, so I made my way back home. El mitad del mundo another time.

This picture is out of order, but I am having a tiff with the blog right now. This is me doing the edging, which is usually what Dad does. 
The BRAT Diet served me well, and I got myself to put the second coat of paint on the bedroom. I still need to frame 3 great paintings I bought from an artist in Otavalo to hang on the wall, but take a look at the following pictures to see the room remodel.
Even the great natural light I get doesn't make me room sunny with such sterile walls. 
This does feel a little like an asylum to me.
One coat down, one to go. 
So much warmer. I love it.
As always, I miss you all. I hope you are enjoying the otoño. Nos hablamos pronto.

Jame

2 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful, Jame! Decorating is going to make you feel so much more settled and comfortable. Can't wait to see what else you do. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Hope you didn't get paint on your lulus! ;)

    ReplyDelete