Friday, September 6, 2013

Oh my, misadventures

Let me preface this by saying that I am currently snuggled into the couch at Ana's cozy house, so my day took a turn for the better after a number of frustrating situations.

My first week at school has been altogether really positive. Lots of new systems to learn, and a classroom to make feel more like "home," but I am enjoying my students and small class sizes for sure.

So on Fridays the teachers are able to leave at 2:45 (rather than 3:30) with the students, which means that I take a different bus home. Today was the first day that I was figuring out my Friday route. I asked another (international) teacher how to figure out my bus. He pointed to a list of routes and bus numbers; I checked the list and proceeded to confidently board bus #2 (of like 40). I didn't recognize the neighborhoods, but I was feeling all tranquila and wasn't concerned as we drove...until the bus was dropping off the last teacher, looking at me inquiring where I thought I was planning to unload myself. Slight panic started to creep in. Ummm, Amazonas, I say. No no no no says the bus driver. He does not go to Avenida de Amazonas, nor will he make an exception this one time for the Gringita who has made a mistake. The teacher who has just gotten off of the bus is looking at me inquiringly. Maybe you can get on a bus, or take a taxi, she suggests. It so happens that today I had no money or credit card with me. I am penniless. I explain this to her a couple of times when my situation finally sinks in with her. I run through my options: I could call Ana, I could walk from here (though I have no idea where I am), I could get in a taxi and then tell the driver that I have to go into my apartment to get money when he drops me off. As I am working on a solution, Maestra Jenny explains that she is taking a taxi to her boyfriend's house, so I can get in the cab with her and she will give me fare to get to my apartment. Seriously, thank God for the Quitenas amables! So, there is a silver lining in my first misadventure: I may have made a new Ecuadorian friend, or at least I found someone willing to make sure I arrived to my home safely; Jenny called a bit later to make sure I hadn't encountered any trouble after the driver dropped her off.

After running myself (slowly as the altitude is still kicking me) around Parque Carolina, I decide to head over to NetLife to sternly inquire about my lack of internet. After doing my best in Spanish, I end up calling Ana to speak with the woman who is "helping" me. It has now been 13 days since I paid for the installation, and each day I keep getting manana, manana. In South America, there is always tomorrow, but I am ready to tell the next person who says this that there will be no tomorrow for him if he doesn't give this little rubia what she wants: INTERNET! Ahorrita! Well, I really get nowhere with this woman. She hangs up with Ana and tells me she needs me to espera mas. Someone is supposed to be in contact with me Monday or Tuesday. Dude, deep breath I say. I leave NetLife frustrated but still taking the day in stride. When I go to call Ana back and fill her in on the latest shananigans, I find that my phone is out of minutes. Alright, no big deal, I'll just walk the two blocks to El Jardin, the mall, and put add more minutes; I need to get cash from Produbanco anyway. So I scoot my way over to Jardin. When I walk in I find that the little tea store that is usually closed is in fact open today. Yes! I could totally go for some quality, loose leaf te. I order up a sample of a tea to then find that they only take cash. Okay, cool, I was on my way to Produbanco so I'll be back in diez minutos I tell the very kind people working.

When I arrive at the ATMs an ominous feeling arises. People keep walking away frustrated. When my turn comes, I put my card in, enter my PIN # and go through the motions to withdraw some cash. Nope, the system is down. The afternoon is feeling rather inconvenient by this point, but I don't need the tea. I do, though, need to put more minutes on my cell. I make my way up the escalator to Supermaxi, the grocery store. I grab a bottle of water and approach the woman at the checkout, explaining that I'd like to add $20 to my phone. No problem she responds. Except it seems there is a problem. When I hand her my Produbanco debit card, she asks for my ID. No, I don't have my ID with me right now, but I can give you my passport number I explain. Nope, she needs a tangible form of identification. I have used my card here numerous cards with no such request, but the stars are not lined up for me today. I haughtily walk away from the checkout, letting out a disgruntled ARGH. I am over Quito at this point. And it is clearly over me.

When I'm almost back to my apartment, Ana calls, and boy does she get an earful. She reminds me that I'm okay and to take a deep breath. I'll pick you up in an hour she assures me. We can stop at the bank and grocery store on the way to my place she adds. I screw me head back on straight after some deep breaths and remind myself that these are minor disruptions in the big scheme of things.

Ana, being more dependable than the city has been to me today, does pick me up when she says. We end up eating at the mall (an HSP is always more level-headed when her blood sugar is balanced), downing some awesome hot chocolate from Juan Valdez, and making our way back to Ana's flat (oh yes, only after I manage to break the ceramic water dispenser she has just bought). A glass of wine and a lengthy Skype session with the whole fam later, I am up for embracing my new life, and all of the lessons it offers, once again.

So, I'm going to sip some more agua con gas and call it a night.

Nos hablamos pronto.

Jame

No comments:

Post a Comment