Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Colegio Americano and Thomas Jefferson High School



Buenas tardes a todos,

I have been reflecting on the similarities and differences between Jefferson and Colegio Americano in the last weeks. In the following comparison, I am not intending to present one as better than another. Both schools, as any, have their "strengths" and "next steps" (as I like to point out in my students' writing). 
Similarities:                                       
Teachers make SMART goals
...
I am actually kind of coming up blank here, 
unless I am going to be obvious and name things like
both schools have a library...
Differences: 
Drills
Americano: volcano eruption and earthquake drills
Jefferson: tornado and fire drills

Security
Americano: a number of armed guards circle the perimeter of the campus all day, teachers use a machine that scans their fingerprint to check in and out
Jefferson: 4 (I believe) hall monitors peruse the halls while class is in session, a teacher or volunteer signs in guests at front door

Class size
Americano: 12-15 students in English classes (surprisingly it doesn't feel that small because this is an incredibly social culture)
Jefferson: 30-35 students in English classes

Campus
Americano: outdoor campus which includes pre-K through 12th grade, a closed campus that I am not sure how a student could escape from
Jefferson: indoor (definitely indoor) campus which includes 9th-12th grade, a closed campus that students can find their way out of

School lunch
*After careful thought, I cannot comment here because it would appear I was trying to make one school look better than another

Schedule
Americano: eight 45 minute class periods each day, a rotating 6 day cycle, Two 25-minute recesses (which is when high school students also must eat lunch)--I still actually do not know my schedule; I have it posted behind my desk
Jefferson: a modified block schedule--Monday, Tuesday, Friday: six 54 minute periods; Wednesday, Thursday: three 90 minute periods

Transportation
Americano: most teachers ride the bus; all kids ride the bus; Morning: buses (there are many) round up teachers and students around the city and bring them to Carcelen, where the school is located, which takes about 40 minutes from my stop and gets us to school 15 minutes before class begins; Afternoon: most teachers leave on teacher bus at 3:30, which means I am home around 4:30; students leave at 3:00 (there is another bus at 4 and 6, but I am a firm believer in my work-life balance)
Jefferson: Teachers drive (and carpool), arriving by 7:15, 35 minutes before class begins; students take the bus, drive, and carpool

Meetings
Americano: Mondays after school=grade level meetings (admin. usually discusses something at these, such as reading off the names of students who struggle for different reasons; no paperwork given, just take notes); Wednesdays after school=department meetings; other various meetings come up throughout the week to discuss drills, insurance, or the Ministry of Education's latest requirements
Jefferson: Once a month staff meetings (sometimes canceled); PLC meetings after school on Wednesdays; IEP meetings at various times throughout the year

I could go on a bit more, but I need to get to spinning class, especially important tonight because I have signed up to climb Pinchincha with Paypahuasi, a company started by Jenny and Esteban Rivera's friend Gustavo. I hope I can make it to the top for a spectacular view!
                                                  
I will leave you with a couple of pictures from Americano...
One of the courtyards at Americano
View right outside of my door, turning to the right
View outside of my classroom windows

Americano is awesome, but shout out to my peeps at Jefferson. I miss you abundantly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment